Me at Red Rock Coolie

Me at Red Rock Coolie

Alberta Adventure Chapter 2–Underway

We drove and drove. How far away is this campground anyway? I kept watch out the window, nothing seemed familiar; we must be going somewhere new. I hoped there would be lots of things to smell.

Finally we stopped. Was this Alberta? It didn't look like a campground, but I thought maybe if I looked out the other window I would see it. It definitely wasn't a campground. Laura got our leashes and we leapt out of the truck (okay, I didn't leap, I had to be carried - it is hard to wait for her to lift me down). As soon as my feet were on the ground I started looking around more closely. There was a lot of pavement, and way too many cars for it to be a campground. It seems I was right, because as soon as we had stretched our legs, my sisters and I were put back in the truck. It hardly seems fair, but I think the people went and ate something while we just starved.


As soon as my people were back in the truck we started moving again. I thought we must be getting there soon. Are we there yet? I stared at Laura, sure that she'd be able to read my thoughts and stop us at the campground right away. I don't think she was listening as we kept driving and driving. I'll have to tell you, I was actually a bit worried. Why was Laura so happy but seemed like she might cry? Were we going somewhere terrible? Was she worried about Grace? Was Alberta a terrible place?


I was a bit tired, but I still kept a watch out the window. I started seeing fewer farms and fields, and more trees. I even saw some lakes that I thought would be fun to explore.

We did eventually stop again. This time it was a beautiful place, and there was even a lake we could have swum in, but Laura didn't even let us put our feet in the water. I could smell dogs, and other animals too - I would have loved to go hunting, but as usual, we were on our leashes.  Laura got out a picnic lunch for the people; we dogs starved again. Oh sure, we got a teeny, tiny hotdog treat, but we could have eaten more! 

I thought they would set up the camper and get it ready to be a home, but it seems we weren't there yet! Not even yet. We had to get in the truck again, and drove, drove, drove some more. I was starting to think that Alberta was too far away.


I stared and stared at her, and finally Laura must have heard me ask if we were there yet, because she told us we still had a long way to go. It must be a pretty special campground for us to drive that far.


Laura and Carm were playing music as we drove and sometimes Laura would sing along. The sound of her voice made me feel less worried. If she was having fun, we must be too.
The next stop seemed different. Carm got out of the truck and talked to a lady - she pointed and nodded her head. Carm got back in the truck and we drove just a few feet and stopped. We all got out of the truck, and when Laura started getting the camper home ready for us, my sisters and I got excited. FINALLY! We are here! Then Laura said we were at a campground called Dreany Haven, just outside of North Bay, and that we weren't in Alberta yet. It sure seemed like a long way from home.

After our home was all set up we went for a short walk. It wasn't very interesting, and was close to a big road with lots of cars driving fast. Once my sisters and I had done our business we walked around the rest of the campground, but it was small so there wasn't very far to go. I was disappointed that we had driven all this way to come here and hoped we weren't staying at this campground for long. I was glad that this wasn't Alberta. From the look on their faces, Bella and Kabira felt the same way.


The day was over and I was exhausted. Looking out of the window to see where we are going is exhausting. Even though I was tired, I would have loved to have a longer walk to clear my head. I was glad we were all together, but wondered where Grace was.


to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment