Me at Red Rock Coolie

Me at Red Rock Coolie

Alberta Adventure Chapter 12 –I couldn’t See to the Top

Banff

The morning music played the next morning. I hoped we weren't going to the kennel again but Laura seemed happy and excited. When she sang the on the road song, I knew we were going somewhere good. I love that song.

After we drove for a little while I could see tall hills in the distance. My ears started feeling funny and then popped. It was strange. We kept driving and the hills kept getting bigger, Laura said they were mountains. I couldn't believe how high they were. It was very different from Alberta. When we stopped at a town; Laura said we were in Banff, which was still in Alberta! I wondered how could it be flat and then have mountains in the same place? In Banff we got out to stretch our legs, then Laura and Carm left us in the truck while they went for a walk. I wasn't very happy to be left behind,  but then remembered that it was better to stay in the truck than go into the kennel.
When they came back we drove around, then stopped again. This time we got to go for a walk beside a very fast river. It didn't look like a good place to swim. We were right beside one of the mountains and I couldn't get over how high it was. I couldn't look high enough to see the top!  Laura said we'd be coming back here the next  day with the camper, which I thought would be a good idea.

It was a long drive back to our camper home, especially since we stopped and had to have baths. I couldn't believe it. I thought staying in the kennel was enough punishment, and that we didn't need baths too. The bath place had special tubs that were on tall legs, with a ramp to walk up. Carm had to put coins into a machine, and the shampoo came right out of the hose. At least the bath didn't take very long. I do have to admit that I had felt stinky after sleeping in the kennel, and it was nice to smell good again.


Banff camping

The next day we drove back to Banff with our camper, just like Laura promised. There were lots of trails to go walking on, but we also relaxed at the campsite. Sometimes I would lie on the ground and look up at the mountains wondering if I could ever walk so far and climb so high. It seemed like it would be impossible. I thought that maybe if I could, there would be a statue of me.

Bella, Kabira and I got to spend some time resting in the camper home while Laura and Carm went out. One day they talked about being at the top of the world and seeing the tops of mountains all around them. It sounded like a magical place. Maybe next time they'll take me there.
Another time Bjorn and some other cousins came to visit us! They were all from Norway. I remembered that Norway was farther from home than we were. They must have had to drive for days and days. They were really nice and stayed for supper. I was stuck inside though and had to watch them through the door. We had other friends visit too. When Laura found out that Cynthia and Martin were coming she got really excited, which made me excited too. They hugged and hugged when they saw each other, and almost forgot that I was there too.
One of the days we drove to a place called Lake Louise. There were lots of people taking pictures of it. I guess they thought it was beautiful. It was brilliant green colour, which seemed odd. Laura let us dip our toes into the water, but it was far to cold to swim in. We did go for a walk down a trail beside the lake. There were lots of people to walk around, but that was okay because some of them wanted to pet me, which I like. Laura seemed like she was in a rush though, and barely let us sniff around. Still, I really liked it here. I think it is in Alberta too.

After Lake Louise, we drove into B.C. which Carm said it was another province, but I didn't see what the big deal was, we didn't even get out of the truck.
When we were driving back to our camper home, I was looking out of the window and saw the sun jumping into a stream, just like in the Alberta song. Laura saw it too and started jumping in her seat and trying to take pictures. It seems like she is always taking pictures of things. Sometimes she even takes ones of me, but that's no surprise because I'm so cute.

 
to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment