Me at Red Rock Coolie

Me at Red Rock Coolie

Alberta Adventure Chapter 11 –Am I in Hell?

Calgary

When the music started playing again in the morning I knew we were off to our next place. It isn't the same music that used to play. Laura must have gotten mad and broken it. We didn't have to drive for a long time, just half a day, but then we started driving through a big city with lots of cars. Laura said that it was Calgary, Alberta, and that this is where she was born.
I didn't think we'd be getting to a campground soon, but even though we were still in the city, we stopped and set up our home. Laura took us for a walk but there wasn't anyplace to go to except a road with really big, scary, trucks driving fast. I didn't think this was much fun and wished we were back in Medicine Hat.

The next morning we all got into the truck, without the camper, and drove around in the city. I didn't know where we were going, but Laura seemed worried. When we got to a place with lots of dog smells I thought we'd be getting out to play, but Laura and Carm said we were at a kennel and left us to go into a building. I didn't know what a kennel was, but I hoped it would be fun. When they came out, Laura looked like she was going to cry and not a happy cry like when we got to Alberta, but an upset one. She put our leashes on me and my sisters and took us into the building. We walked into a room and a million dogs started barking. There was no way I wanted to go in there, and neither did Bella or Kabira. Kabira had to be carried. I pretended that I was brave and walked in, but I wanted to run away. I was so scared.


A strange lady put us into a cage and shut the door. Laura was crying. She told us that she and Carm were going to a wedding and that it wasn’t a place for dogs.

Laura didn't seem happy at all. Then Laura and Carm walked out of the room, leaving us there alone with all those barking dogs. We were terrified. We wondered if we had driven to Alberta so they could leave us there forever. I thought I might throw up. Bella and Kabira didn't help me feel brave because they were as scared as I was.


We stayed there all day, hoping we were wrong and that Laura and Carm would come back, but they didn't. We had to go out of a small door to get outside to do our business. I was almost too scared to go because whenever I did all the other dogs would bark. They seemed to be calling for their families. Had all these dogs been left behind forever? Had they been bad? Had we been bad?


We tried to sleep that night, but it was uncomfortable, there were no soft beds like at home. I thought we might be in hell. The next day was no better. We waited and waited all day. I never thought I'd miss Laura and Carm so much. After we waited forever, the strange lady came to us with our leashes. We wondered where she was taking us to and if it would be even worse. She opened a door and there were Laura and Carm! They came back to get us! We were all so excited we could hardly stand it. Laura was crying again, but this time she seemed happy. When they put us into the truck I thought I'd never complain about driving too long again. I was so relieved.

to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment